Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Sr. Legal Counsel ASEAN - TH/MM/Laos
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As ASEAN LPC Business Partner/BP Country Caretaker, provides guidance and direction on legal & compliance issues, reflecting good business judgment and legal knowledge, for all businesses, functions, and teams in relation to the interpretation of laws of relevance in the country(-ies) under his/her caretaker responsibility, aligning them with ASEAN region/global initiatives, acquiring and/ or securing ASEAN LPC functional expertise & capabilities/support from other Team members (IP, antitrust, regulatory, digital, IFPMA Code Compliance, anti- corruption, Seed/ Biotech, data privacy, labour/employment, tax, etc. to be defined based on experience and career development) assisting management in making appropriate management decisions in the light of agile, practical, and actionable legal & compliance solutions/ recommendations.
- Leading role in drafting, analyzing, negotiating, and supporting the successful delivery of complex business transactions and contracts (even those re-directed by LPC Express or Contract Centre Teams as part of the LPC TOM) in respect of all levels of client engagements ranging from in country contracts to ASEAN region and/or global master agreements. Review of the terms and conditions for participation in public and private tender bids.
- Partner with business stakeholders across all businesses, functions, and teams in the region to ensure that ASEAN LPC is “digital-ready” (properly prepared and positioned) to support new business activities, digital initiatives & transformation, and strategies providing support with effective risk assessment and legally compliant plans and/ or guardrails helping all businesses in ASEAN to achieve compliant growth & profitability targets and enabling to them act quickly enough to capture the new market and business opportunities of digitalization.
- Expected to serve as LPC practice area team leader when requested by the Head of ASEAN LPC or other CLT senior leaders for special/ ad-hoc projects or independently contribute as a senior member of cross-functional teams providing legal counsel to assigned projects and practice areas both regionally (ASEAN) or in country as required.
- Help to coordinate deployment of Integrated Compliance Management (ICM) programs and address legal issues ensuring compliance with regulatory and statutory obligations including in particular competition (anti-trust), anticorruption, data privacy, IFPMA Code Compliance, Biotech/ Seed laws, and digital (e-Commerce, Telemedicine, cybersecurity, etc.) laws & regulations. Liaise, interact, represent, and negotiate with Trade Associations and Government Authorities/ Agencies in these areas if/ when may impact Bayer’s ability to operate in key countries in ASEAN. Lead local Compliance Committee covering the country(- ies) under his/ her caretaker responsibility.
- Provide general legal & compliance (ICM) risk assessment support and guidance to all Bayer Group entities and business units across the ASEAN Region working closely with both APAC LPC Express and Contract Centre Teams across ASEAN countries. Expected to develop strategies and measure to minimize compliance risks, cooperating and liaising with Government agencies/ authorities as required. Designing and providing training for the organization’s employees on substantive legal and compliance topics. Cooperating with LPCX on conducting internal investigations of compliance cases and steering implementation of Internal Audit Remediation plans.
- Provide advice and guidance to assigned internal clients on IP matters, in close cooperation with Bayer Global LPC Patent and Trademarks Teams (global and regional). Assist on brand protection initiatives including trademark support and counterfeit & stewardship market enforcement activities.
- Take the lead in supporting and providing advice to the organization in relation to the handling of all levels of legal claims and disputes.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure high quality, cost-effective legal support, and representation
- Manage Bayer legal entities Corporate Secretarial and Corporate Housekeeping support, including internal restructuring and corporate governance projects as needed with particular reference to support for global initiatives (i.e. LE integration, creation of new LE, liquidation, JV, SPV, etc,)
- Take an active part in the activities underpinning the global objectives of Global LPC Community (i.e. Influencer, Change Agent, etc.) through participation in global and/or cross regional working groups or committees.
- Actively lead and drive the exchange of best practices and knowledge transfer within ASEAN LPC and across organizational boundaries. Also, expected to act as a mentor and/or coach other junior members of ASEAN LPC Team as well as colleagues in other business functions.
- Expected to monitor and track legislations, regulations and public policies which may impact Bayer’s ability to operate across key markets in ASEAN, presenting the regulatory landscape, policy developments in key markets, and what action to take
- Expected to research unique legal issues affecting the organization by identifying applicable laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and codes.
- Upon delegation by Head of ASEAN LPC, responsible for budget management for specific process within a given area of responsibility
- Support crisis management matters and lead legal/compliance workstream together with management in the country(-ies) under his/ her caretaker responsibility, and liaise if/when needed with government officials, lawmakers, and industry associations or Bayer Group partners.
WHO YOU ARE
- University degree, LLM, Masters, or equivalent from an accredited law school.
- Certified to practice law ideally for an ASEAN jurisdiction.
- Fluency in English (oral & written) is required in addition to the local ASEAN language.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in legal and/or compliance, gained from progressively responsible positions, thereof at least 5 years in a reputational law firm or the legal department of MNCs.
- Strong record of team-oriented leadership skills honed through experience with senior management. Proven track record or deep interest in talent and people development.
- Advanced project management skills (including advance understanding of IT tools and their application to facilitate legal counseling) with a track record in handing multiple projects and cases with a multitude of stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with M&A, licensing partnerships, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, intellectual property, and/or data protection issues, including structure, diligence, contracting, and merger integration, as well as awareness of common risks in the ASEAN region.
- Experience with work in complex international organizational set-ups (i.e. MNCs).
- Strong interest in Life Sciences and ideally Digital Industries. Sounded knowledge in both technology and the law required.
- Strong knowledge of the substantive applicable laws, international, IFPMA, FCPA or similar compliance codes/ related guidelines
- Frequent Travel as required
Reference Code: 480803
Functional Area: Law, Patents, Compliance & Insurances